Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Spring Cleaning...To Be Continued, by Jodi


Every other Friday our wonderful cleaning lady stops by our home to clean it. Enadina is very helpful, nice, honest and chosen by Daniel's now, dead mother. She does all the basics and then some. We love her, she also cleans Dan's dad's house each week. She is most importantly affordable and she does ok by us.
Enadina has taken on the laundress role here since I had my stroke. She will do our towels and bedding, our rugs sometimes and a random load we might have in the washer. It is fabulous, she's such a great lady and she does things pretty well. If we forget something she usually has it, that works for me. I forget a lot!
Since I had my stroke, I typically did not have the desire or strength to do anything extra around the house. I barely cooked meals or did grocery shopping. Our garage hadn't been touched, except to add to already existing piles. We had the addition of a new, 3 wheeled bike, which takes up a lot of space. We also had 3 other bikes in our garage, in addition to a few random television sets in various sizes, pillows, both indoor and outdoor as well as soda, sparking water and multiple types of beer, left by strangers or bought for parties. We also had the typical bags of out of date clothes and shoes, a collection of baseball hats, discarded computer junk and sporting equipment. Don't forget the tubs full of holiday stuff, camera equipment, car needs/wants, tools and of course, the stuff I have used to teach my class for the past 16 years and classroom discards or piles from Dan's classroom. We also had a little thing called my desk and multiple items from in and around our home office that was changed into half a bedroom to accommodate people who came to take care of me or visit us and sometimes Dan must get away from me, so he uses it too!
We needed to do some cleaning that no one else could do but us. I didn't want to have a garage sale, wasn't giving it to the homeless or trying to sell it on the internet, just get it out of here! We missed that big once a year pick up on trash day where they will take anything for the past two years in a row. We were determined to hit it this year but guess which day it was on? The day after Easter.
Dan and Travis both had spring break two weeks ago, so I said let's celebrate early and clean the garage out on the holiday, and so we did.
We only began to make a dent in the stuff we own. We got rid of basic stuff that you could obviously see needed to be gotten rid of, tossed multiple papers, went thru piles and piles of books and magazines and began to organize and clean out class and career stuff. We found and laughed at old photos, birth certificates and miscellaneous old love letters. I didn't get rid of any of those!
Dan and Travis carried quite a few piles out to the curb and quite a few random cars came by to get something. One man's trash is another man's treasure is alive and well here. I won't even go out until the trash men take it away, I don't want to see our old stuff sitting on the curb, it's sad but had to be done. We worked on it for about 5 hours, we will work on it another day and I'm sure a few more days to come. We started it...will we ever finish it? To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment