Monday, April 11, 2011

Grandma Wigley, in all her glory...by Jodi

What about a woman married over 50 years? Three kids? Six grandkids? Went to church  every Sunday? Had her hair colored and styled weekly? Never drove. Cooked meals at home. Sat on the balcony, enjoyed the heat, the cool and loved her family.
My grandma was very special to me. A religious woman who loved God, I know both my grandparents are in Heaven. A German woman, stoic, quiet and not very demonstrative. So not like me, I don't think any of those words would be used to describe me.
She took care of me. She washed my hair when it was so long and people only washed their hair once a week. I would spend the night on Friday and she would wash my hair on the breadboard on Saturday morning. She compared me to Lady Breck!
I don't recall my grandma to be an awesome cook or baker. She was tired of all that fuss by the time I was starting to pay attention.
She watched television. She liked, 'The Rockford Files', 'As the World Turns' and tuned into wrestling every Saturday with my grandpa by her side.
Really there was so much I didn't know about her but yet I spent a lot of time with her. I loved her. The last time I saw her, she hugged me really tight and I assured her I would see her again, I never did. She shares my life everyday, I know she's there. I can hear her laughter now. I can hear her asking what were people thinking, when things happened. In a way, I'm eager to see her, I know she has been living 'in all her glory'.

No comments:

Post a Comment