Friday, April 1, 2011

Can't Change a Man Like You...by Jodi

Did I want to change you? I didn't really intend to. At first I thought when you said, "Let it rip, honey?" It was funny. When you told me you were a Jew, I said, "What's the point of going on?" When we stopped making love a few times a day, I just thought it was normal. It is now 10 years later, I was right to ask those questions. All of those qualities you posess have inspired me to ask myself why I am in love with that man? At one time or another, I am, I love you very much, sometimes I dislike you more than I love you. Today is one of those days.

I met you on Theresa's cell phone. She warned me you weren't my type. I finally met you at Joe's Crab Shack, we had a great time together. Theresa was right, you weren't my type. Why had I not seen you in a month, but couldn't get you out of my head? You went to Chicago with me, we told each other we loved each other. We saw a Cubs game, we walked Michigan Avenue and we flew our first flight together.

So clearly, I remember having the epiphany that you were in love with me. I will never forget it. It happened to me twice that month. The first time it happened you were on the cell phone and I jumped in your car. On my seat, there was a multipack of lip balm, I looked at you as if to say, "Why do you have this?" You put your mouth over the phone and said, "I thought you would like that." Oh yes, I liked and needed that but you LOVE me because you totally know I am addicted to lip balm! Ugh. Then, a few weeks later it was my birthday and you added me to your AAA membership. There it was again! You wanted me to be safe because you loved me. I was living with you 4 months later. How in the world did I get here?

I love you. I need you, in many ways. More importantly, I want you. We raised my son together, we have dogs together and we are there for each other. You are very honest, very loyal, very dazzling! Why did I fall in love with you? Because of all those reasons and so many more. Why do I dislike you? Because of all those reasons and so many more. I don't think I am telling you anything you don't already know. Today I don't like you but I ultimately love you. We have some problems, we are always going to have problems. We will always be a work in progress. We are both going to be frustrated, we are both going to make mistakes. I apologize in advance for my 'wrongdoings'. I will try to keep in mind, I know I can't change a man like you...keep it that way...most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment