Sunday, April 24, 2011

Livin' on a Prayer...by Jodi


Are we halfway there? If I take your hand, will we make it, you swear? Title and lines to a favorite song.
How many times have I lived on a prayer? Too many to count. What does it mean "to live on a prayer?" To me, it means we have got nothing else, just a prayer. Actually, a very powerful thing. Prayer is faith, it's hope. The greatest gift anyone can give is prayer.
For a simple request like being on the winning side, to the complex like asking for forgiveness or someone making it through the night.
When it boils down to what we really have or what we can really control, it's all about faith, belief and hope. Faith in believing in another person or hoping your marriage can make it through this rough patch. Faith, hope and belief can get you through the night sometimes. It's all someone can give at times. Nothing else seems to be strong enough.
Do we need anything else? Yes, we are very human and tend to believe certain actions or things will make it alright. If I can just pay all my bills and get the house clean, everything will be alright with my money troubles or my marriage. Whatever it is, we like to think we can control it. Control is an illusion. I have no idea how someone who doesn't believe in faith or have hope that tomorrow will be a better day. I don't want to not have a God, an invisible power, a God in control of it all. How can you look at the healing of the human body or the majesty of a mountain and not believe there is a God out there? I don't even begin to understand it. It makes no sense to me. It isn't my reality and I don't want it to be.
I had an event in my life that took my ability to pray away. I couldn't quiet my mind to pray. All of the things I wanted and needed derive from God but I couldn't pray. Thank goodness there are believers in my life that prayed for me. Thank goodness there are strangers who were willing and able to pray for me. I have prayed for people I don't know or people I loved and I was perhaps 'repaid' for my prayers. I was 'livin' on a prayer', to say the least.
I could go on for days about this topic, but I will close for now. Just know that everyday there is someone out there 'livin' on a prayer', won't you toss a blessing to them? 

No comments:

Post a Comment