Saturday, January 7, 2012

Ugh, really?....by Jodi


Yes, really. I did it. I went to the gym. It's the beginning of the year and I dressed myself and hauled it out to the gym. I stumbled (literally) climbing on to the treadmill, I had to figure out how to use the crazy thing and away it went. I was going with or without my leg! Heavens yes, I went SLOW, yes, I just went 12 minutes. But, I went and that is what matters. I (again, literally) stumbled off the treadmill, with my iPod, jacket, lip balm, sunglasses and required towel in hand. I broke wind (no, not farting) and dragged myself over to the drinking fountain to drink. I forgot my water, of course. At the drinking fountain there was a guy washing his hands in the fountain! Really? Yes, I lost my appetite. Forgot the water, used some antibacterial gel and sat down in the waiting area for Dan to finish up.

I sat and thought I should have done better. Then, reality struck in, I went and did! I am proud of myself for just completing the process! I only went for about 12 minutes at a quarter of a mile, at hold on to your hat, a speed of 1.5! Hey, it's a place to start! If I can do that in a week, than next week I can up it. I could have gone until I was exhausted but then I would be done for the day. Sad, but true. I want to shower and go to the store and enjoy the beautiful weather. I did what I could do and I will get better! Are there older people who can do better? Yes. But how many of them have had weight loss surgery and a stroke? Yeah, there will always be the stronger, faster people out there and I need to be alright with that. I am getting there, my family makes me feel like I should go better, do more, be the best, but reality says I just need to figure out what works for me. It is an all new me and I am figuring it out as I go along!

As I sat in the chair, I checked out the people and their clothes, of course. I came to the conclusion that no one who joins the gym in this neighborhood is poor. They all have really nice shoes! The cheapest shoes I saw were Sketchers. I know it isn't about having a name brand but I am just sayin'! I thought I would head to the Nike Woman store and have some Nikes made with pink and black, very lightweight. Sounds fun, eh?
I know I need a bag to haul all my stuff in. I knew which one I would make my gym bag for now. I saw socks, they weren't very festive but I know how important good socks are! I am not being sarcastic, good socks are truly important. I think that is where I will begin. I also looked at hairdos, of course! My hair is thinning from surgery (normal) it is awkward to pull it up for me without the full use of my left arm so I need a hat. Baseball caps are not for me because I still have to ponytail it. I want one of those winter hats with a sock monkey design. Yes, I know it's weird but I think it will work and so you know what I will be looking to buy! Oh, I checked out the guys too, hehehe. They looked clean and some were definitely cool and some definitely were trying to be cool. We had the old men and the high school boys, ultimately, this short, chubby, bald guy with sweat pouring off of him rounded the corner, THAT was my guy! He loves me and even better, I love him and we are adding another chapter to our book of us. I know...ugh...really? You betcha'!  

No comments:

Post a Comment